Frequently Asked Questions


Before You Get Started: Our partners are required to have a Motor Carrier (MC) Authority (or Active Authority), a CDL driver, a signed W-9 Form, proof of Insurance naming Samuel’s Way Logistics, LLC as a certificate holder, power of attorney, and at least $1,000,000 in auto-liability and $100,000 in cargo coverage. Contact Samuel’s Way Compliance if you need help.

STEP 1: Complete our Dispatcher-Carrier Fulfillment Agreement. You’ll have the option to opt-in for a 7-day Free dispatching or start the service right away.

STEP 2: Qualifying applicants are on-boarded. Your company will then be profiled with customized solutions you need to maximize it’s output.

STEP 3: Start earning more loads!

Contact us to learn more.

All our incoming carrier-partners enjoy FREE dispatching for seven days. Before deciding on our dispatching service, carriers can opt-in for the 7 day trail. Contact us for more information.

Trucking companies looking to grow can no longer solely depend on loadboards. Samuel’s Way Dispatching is pairing carrier-partners to planned freight based on the best available options from our shipping networks. Our freight planning, technology, relationships and negotiations is built to improve your fuel usage, time management (HOS), and profitability. Take control of your time while we handle all planning, carrier packets, insurance certificate requests, phone calls, faxes, invoicing, billing and rate confirmations. Say goodbye to paperwork and headache when you use us, the “carriers companion”.

The Samuel’s Way rewards program offers participating carrier-partners loads of rewards for every trucking journey. Earn points then use them for low dispatch rates, access limited promotions, or even to cover service charges. Membership rewards points are easy to earn – explore all the ways you can experience rewards.

Contact us to learn more.

Yes. Because we provide tailored dispatching services by company, we absolutely welcome focused owner-operators who are ready to grow. While new carriers are subject to some limitations which will affect your eligible loads, it is our duty to set you up for success, today. Additionally, Samuel’s Way Rewards Card provides much needed value to new carriers. 

You are not obligated to accept every offered load. Our loads are planned based on equipment type, company outlook and carrier preference therefore, our carrier-partners are rarely dissatisfied with loads. Samuel’s Way Dispatching system is based on effective planning that our carrier-partners buy into. 

We Dispatch Dry Vans, Refrigerated Trailers, Flatbed Trailers and Step-Deck Trailers.

The revenue your trucking company generates depends on the key performance of each truck in your fleet including but not limited to considerations for fuel usage, maintenance cost, and the loads you move. Research shows that an owner operator’s salary can vary anywhere from $65,000 to $150,000 annually or approximately $5,000 to $12,500 monthly.


Motor Carriers who apply for their Motor Carrier Authority are referred to as New Entrants. They will be subjected to a New Entrant Safety Audit within the first 12 months of receiving their authority. The FMCSA will verify that the company has proper safety policies and procedures in place. If the Motor Carrier fails the New Entrant Audit they may lose their Motor Carrier Authority.

If you perform trade, traffic, or transportation exclusively in your business’s domicile state, this is considered INTRA-State Motor Carrier.  Each state has different rules and regulations concerning Intrastate transportation. 

Interstate Operating Authority is authority granted by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) which allows your trucking company to work for-hire across state lines (nationally).

Vehicle registration for tractor and trailer, IRP Cab Card (INTERSTATE AUTHORITY), proof of insurance, UCR registration receipts, IFTA license (INTERSTATE AUTHORITY) , DOT annual inspection, KYU, NY Hut, NM, OR licenses/decals, paper log book, ELD Malfunction Card, Lease Agreement – where applicable.

The FMCSA states that, If you operate any of the following types of commercial motor vehicles in interstate commerce you must comply with the applicable U.S. Department of Transportation (USDOT) safety regulations concerning:

  • A vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating of 4,537 kg (10,001 lb) or more, whichever is greater;
  • A vehicle designed or used to transport between 9 and 15 passengers (including the driver) for compensation;
  • A vehicle designed or used to transport 16 or more passengers; or

Any size vehicle used in the transportation of materials found to be hazardous for the purposes of the Hazardous Materials Transportation

UCR Refers to an agreement among the states governing the collection and distribution of registration information. UCR fees paid to states by motor carriers, private motor carriers, brokers, freight forwarders, and leasing companies. The fees collected support state motor carrier safety activities. UCR registration must be renewed annually by December 31.

Every motor carrier (of property or passengers) shall make a designation for each state in which it is authorized to operate and for each state traversed during such operations using Form BOC-3 – Designation of Agents for Service of Process. The filing appoints a process agent to accept legal documents on behalf of a transportation or logistics company.

In general, a USDOT Number is required if you are operating in interstate commerce and fall with criteria set by the FMCSA including but not limited to:

  • You have vehicles that are over 10,000 lbs. (GVWR, GCWR, GVW or GCW)

The IRS Form 2290, Heavy Vehicle Use Tax (HVUT) Return, is mainly used to report and pay the tax due annually on highway motor vehicles used during the period with a taxable gross weight of 55,000 pounds or more, that you operate on public highways.

Any individual, LLC, cooperation, or any other type of organization that registers heavy vehicles with a taxable gross weight of 55,000 pounds or more must file Form 2290 with the IRS. 

Vehicles that run less than 5,000 miles (7,500 miles for agricultural vehicles) are considered tax-suspended vehicles. You are not required to pay the heavy vehicle tax for such vehicles; however, you should file Form 2290.

Form 2290 Schedule 1 is proof of payment for heavy vehicle use tax (HVUT) that was paid by truckers to the IRS. Form 2290 must be filed with the IRS yearly to report the HVUT payment made for the taxable vehicles and also to report the information about tax suspended vehicles.

Once your 2290 tax return is processed, the IRS will stamp the Schedule 1 and send it back to the you to use it as a proof of HVUT payment. You can then use this 2290 schedule 1 to renew truck tags, Register your vehicles at DMVs, and operate your vehicles on any public highways.

Qualified motor vehicles traveling between two or more jurisdictions (48 of the United States and 10 Canadian provinces) are required to file International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) quarterly. Qualified MC’s must have an IFTA license and decals and are therefore required to file a quarterly IFTA return with your base jurisdiction.

Qualified motor vehicles include vehicles that have:

  • Two axles and a gross vehicle weight exceeding 26,000 pounds.
  • Two axles and a registered weight exceeding 26,000 pounds.
  • Three or more axles regardless of weight.
  • A combination weight exceeding 26,000 pounds.

Help Center

Get the Answers. Keep Movinig Foward.

Backhaul: Refers to a load of freight which permits a trucker to return to his home with a loaded truck, rather than an empty one.

Base Jurisdiction: Your base jurisdiction is (the state) where your truck and information is registered. Your operational control and records are maintained in your base jurisdiction or can be made available in case of an audit. It is can also be the state in which your qualified motor vehicle is traveling through within the fleet, accruing mileage.

Bill of Lading: Document given to OD for legal tender of shipment. Contains shipper, consignee, freight description, weight, pieces and any other pertinent information.

Connecting Carrier: A carrier which interchanges trailers with another for completion of shipments.

Flatbed: A trailer without sides used for hauling machinery or other bulky items.

Freight: Any commodity being transported.

Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA): FMCSA is the lead federal government agency responsible for regulating and providing safety oversight of commercial motor vehicles (CMVs).

Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW): The maximum allowable fully laden weight of a truck and its payload. the most common classification scheme used by manufacturers and by states.

Intermodal Transportation: Transportation movement involving more than one mode, e.g. rail-motor, motor-air, or rail-water

Interstate: Shipments moving between states.

Intrastate: Shipments moving within one state.

Hours of Service (HOS): Refers to the maximum amount of time drivers are permitted to be on duty including driving time and specifies number and length of rest periods, to help ensure that drivers stay awake and alert. Generally, all carriers must comply with HOS regulations found in 49 CFR 395.

Less Than Truckload (LTL): A quantity of freight less than that required for the application of a truckload rate. The historical definition for LTL freight is shipments under 10,000 pounds. LTL carriers are carriers which specialize in shipments under 10,000 pounds. However, competition from other freight carriers restricts shipments for most LTL carriers to the range between 300 and 3000 pounds.

Linehaul: The transporting of freight between cities or service centers. Also referred to as (over the road).

Lumpers: Individuals that assist a motor carrier owner operator in the unloading of property; quite commonly used in the food industry.

Motor Carrier: A motor carrier transports passengers or property for compensation.

Owner-operator: Trucking operation in which the owner of the truck is also the driver.

Process Agent: As Defined by FMCSA, a process agent is a legal representative upon whom court papers may be served in any proceeding brought against a motor carrier, broker, or freight forwarder. Every motor carrier (of property or passengers) shall make a designation for each state in which it is authorized to operate and for each state traversed during such operations (using Form BOC-3 – Designation of Agents for Service of Process). 

Rate: Cost to ship product from point of origin to point of destination.

Unified Carrier Registration (UCR): Refers to an agreement among the states governing the collection and distribution of registration information. UCR fees paid to states by motor carriers, private motor carriers, brokers, freight forwarders, and leasing companies. The fees collected support state motor carrier safety activities. UCR registration must be renewed annually by December 31.

Unified Registration System (URS): is an on-line registration system that streamlines the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration’s (FMCSA) registration process and serve as a clearinghouse and depository of information on all entities regulated by the Agency,  The URS combines multiple registration processes, information technology systems and forms into a single, electronic online registration process.

The Dun & Bradstreet D‑U‑N‑S Number is a unique nine-digit identifier for businesses. When assigned, this number identifies a company as being unique from any other. The D‑U‑N‑S Number is used as the starting point for any company’s business identity.

D‑U‑N‑S Numbers are often referenced by lenders and potential business partners to help predict the reliability and/or financial stability of the company in question.  businesses.


An Employer Identification Number (EIN) is also known as a Federal Tax Identification Number, and is used to identify a business entity. Generally, businesses need an EIN. Business owners intending to setup trucking operations as a corporation or a partnership, or will have employees, report to the IRS and have a bank account, will need an EIN.

You should choose a business structure that gives you the right balance of legal protections and benefits. Your business structure affects how much you pay in taxes, your ability to raise money, the paperwork you need to file, and your personal liability. 

Sole proprietorship
You’re automatically considered to be a sole proprietorship if you do business activities but don’t register as any other kind of business. Sole proprietorships do not produce a separate business entity. This means your business assets and liabilities are not separate from your personal assets and liabilities.

Partnerships are the simplest structure for two or more people to own a business together. There are two common kinds of partnerships: limited partnerships (LP) and limited liability partnerships (LLP).

Limited partnerships have only one general partner with unlimited liability, and all other partners have limited liability. The partners with limited liability also tend to have limited control over the company, which is documented in a partnership agreement. Limited liability partnerships are similar to limited partnerships, but give limited liability to every owner. An LLP protects each partner from debts against the partnership, they won’t be responsible for the actions of other partners.

Limited liability company (LLC)
An LLC lets you take advantage of the benefits of both the corporation and partnership business structures. LLCs protect you from personal liability in most instances, your personal assets — like your vehicle, house, and savings accounts — won’t be at risk in case your LLC faces bankruptcy or lawsuits.

C corp
A corporation, sometimes called a C corp, is a legal entity that’s separate from its owners. Corporations offer the strongest protection to its owners from personal liability, but the cost to form a corporation is higher than other structures. Corporations also require more extensive record-keeping, operational processes, and reporting.

Unlike sole proprietors, partnerships, and LLCs, corporations pay income tax on their profits. In some cases, corporate profits are taxed twice — first, when the company makes a profit, and again when dividends are paid to shareholders on their personal tax returns.

S corp
An S corporation, sometimes called an S corp, is a special type of corporation that’s designed to avoid the double taxation drawback of regular C corps. S corps allow profits, and some losses, to be passed through directly to owners’ personal income without ever being subject to corporate tax rates.

Not all states tax S corps equally, but most recognize them the same way the federal government does and tax the shareholders accordingly. Some states tax S corps on profits above a specified limit and other states don’t recognize the S corp election at all, simply treating the business as a C corp.


Consulting with attorneys, and accountants can prove helpful. You can also visit the IRS business structure page for additional information.

Get timely updates and industry news delivered to your inbox. 

Find the stories that move you in our newsletters and email alerts